Freehackers is a group of free software hackers, mostly located in France. We just needed to share the ressources we use in developping free software, so we created freehackers.org. The server holds our projects and provide the basic services we need : ftp server, web server, cvs repository, ...
- Processor : AMD Athlon @ 1.2GHz
- Ram : 1 Gb
- Hard disks : 900 Gb
- Internet connection : ADSL 8mb/s
Software Specifications / configuration
- OS : linux, kernel 2.6 with vservers
- Distribution : gentoo
- Software RAID-1 array
- Both IPv4 and IPv6
- Web : apache2,php,mysql,squid,daCode,templeet
- Mail : postfix, horde, courier(imap,pop), sympa
- Misc : bind, cvs, svn, pure-ftpd, ssh, rsync, nfs, dhcp..
Whenever you get an account (say, "login") on freehackers.org, you automatically get the following
- ssh access with "ssh firstname.lastname@example.org"
- ftp access with "ftp://email@example.com" Warning : This is the preferred way to dowload huge files from freehackers, as ftp is bandwidth limited. Please do not use scp, fish, and other protocols, that would kill my upload.
- Home dirs are located on a RAID-1 array.
A homepage http://www.freehackers.org/ login. You need to create a /public_html, readable by the user apache:apache. Php is available. There’s also a Mysql base running, if needed.
- A mail account "firstname.lastname@example.org". You can either forward it (you can change your forward in webmail), or access it through pop3-ssl (port 6995, Warning : this is not the standard port), imap-ssl, or webmail (https://secure.freehackers.org/horde). freehackers.org have some secondary mail servers, which means mails wont be lost if fh is ever down.
- Mail delivery is done through maildrop, so you can configure your /.mailfilter
- Incoming mail is scanned by spamassassin, which set some header flags, that you can use to filter spam.
- I can create mail aliases (other fh mail adresses whose messages are sent to your login)
- There’s a low traffic mailing list about fh administration
- fh can be either master or slave DNS
- fh can be either primary or secondary MX
- fh hosts web sites using apache virtual hosting
- fh hosts CVS and subversion repositories
- fh hosts mailing lists : to create one, ask here ("create list")
- fh hosts rsync repositories